Not counting soundtracks (because I buy a lot of those), the last CD I bought was Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me." I bought that CD long after she won her Grammys but I already borrowed and liked her CD at that point.
Because of freeipods.com
, I joined the BMG Music Club to get that "seven CDs for the price of one" deal.
So here's what I have received in the mail and what I will receive (not counting soundtracks):
- Ben Folds Five, "The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messner" (still in the mail)
- Blur, "The Best Of Blur" (still in the mail)
- Blur, "Modern Life Is Rubbish" (still in the mail)
- Dido, "No Angel" (still in the mail)
- Drive-By Truckers, "Decoration Day" (for the boyfriend AND still in the mail)
- Electric Light Orchestra, "The Essential Electric Light Orchestra" (haven't listened to it yet)
- Franz Ferdinand, "Franz Ferdinand" (I've listened to half of it and I like it so far)
- The Jesus and Mary Chain, "21 Singles" (haven't listened to it yet)
- Johnny Cash, "At Folsom Prison (Remastered)" (for the boyfriend AND still in the mail)
- Modest Mouse, "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" (there are a couple of good songs but I mostly feel meh towards it)
- Stereolab, "Margerine Eclipse" (haven't listened to it yet)
I also picked up The Von Bondies' "Pawn Shoppe Heart" and Maria Mena's "White Turns Blue" somewhere else since BMG's site didn't carry those. They also didn't carry Bis or Apples in Stereo which was kind of irksome.
So hopefully I'll have caught up on modern music.
I picked up a couple of suggestions from John Allison's (of Scary Go Round
fame) Albums of the Year
list, but if any of you guys
have any suggestions, send them along. I have to listen to something besides 80s pop and TV/movie/game soundtracks.